Friday 29 March 2013

Madagascar, May 2012. "Indri Indri"


After hearing all the calls and stories about the black and white mammals of the rainforest, we were all dying to actually see an Indri.  The first time we did in “Mitsinjo nature reserve”, which is situated around 30 minutes’ walk from Grace Lodge, I honestly wanted to cry.  I was that overwhelmed by their grace and overall enchanting appearance but still, on top of all this, they just look so cute and cuddly…and I am a girl so I am allowed to get emotional at cute things, alright!

Indris are the biggest species of Lemur and lack a tail; however, this certainly does not stop their speed and agility as they fly from tree to tree with ease.  They have such long limbs, which look like they’d make such a big creature clumsy, yet they had the opposite effect.  Their little round beady eyes that look as though they could see for miles as they stared out from the top of the trees, mouths wide open allowing their unique language to boom out.

A beautiful Indri
Indris cannot survive in captivity and are only found in Andasibe, Madagascar, which made our sightings of them extra special.  At one point I was so close to being urinating on by one as I stood under a tree it was resting on.  I wonder if this would have brought me good luck.  Who knows, but I wasn’t willing to find out.

“They stay in pairs, with a youngster in tow” a young Madagascan man we stumbled upon in the rainforest informed us.  Well, I think that’s what he said, I was too busy concentrating on trying to get oxygen in my lungs; he smelt atrocious.  My eyes streamed and struggled to stay open.  Every time they closed I wasn’t in the rainforest, I was in a sewer.  We made for a quick exit and continued trekking.

I floated around the forest; now being able to breath, thank goodness, and feeling like I was in a state of ecstasy.  A most welcomed emotion that stayed with me right until I left the country.



No comments:

Post a Comment